Sweet Potato Lentil Stew
"Years ago, I fell in love with the spicy flavor and wonderful aroma of this hearty slow-cooker recipe," relates Heather Gray of Little Rock, Arkansas. "You can serve the stew alone or as a topper for meat and poultry. It's great either way!"
6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and
- cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in
- cilantro and salt. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 247 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 785 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.