Sweet Potato Lentil Stew Recipe
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in cilantro and salt. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 247 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 785 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.