- 1-1/4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until vegetables and lentils are tender. Stir in cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Lentil Stew
Sort By :
"A blogger is using your recipe as her own, she copied it word for word and even stole your picture as well. The recipe is located here: http://farerecipes.blogspot.com/2014/09/sweet-potato-lentil-stew.html Every one of the recipes on her blog are stolen. So tacky!!"
"I tweaked the spices by adding a pinch more here & there for a richer taste. I also added a can of diced tomatoes to the cooking process, cream of mushroom soup can also be added to add creaminess & to thicken the broth. I cooked all the ingredients except the sweet potatoes for 4 hrs & then added the sweet potatoes & cooked for another 4 hrs in a slow cooker. If adding the potatoes later doesn't work for you make sure to chop them in large chunks or halves so it doesn't dissolve into mush. Zucchini, eggplant & russet potatoes make for a nice lentil too. Thanks for recipe."
"We really enjoyed the mix of flavors in this stew!"
"While this was fairly good, I agree with another reviewer in that the lentils were still rather firm even after 6 hrs. I would like to try this recipe again, but would increase the amount of spices/seasonings and add possibly spinach, kale, corn, and/or zuchinni to add extra flavor and color. I did happen to add some pre-cooked barley just before serving, which added a nice nutty flavor. With some tweaking, this could be a 5 star dish!"
"Sorry to disagree with the other reviews, but no one in my family liked this. It seemed like there were too many lentils, and the lentils were firm while the other vegetables were falling-apart tender. The lentils and sweet potatoes just didn't work for us."