- 1-1/4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until vegetables and lentils are tender. Stir in cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Lentil Stew
"Sorry, but this was not good at all. There was no liquid left, so it was an unappetizing grayish glob with some orange spots. It is healthy but not good enough to ever make again."
"Great recipe. I think the ginger made it fun and special. The doctor told my sister to eat lentils, he said they were good for her heart, so I find and prepare new dishes to prove to her lentils are tasty to eat. She and the rest of the family really liked this one."
"A blogger is using your recipe as her own, she copied it word for word and even stole your picture as well. The recipe is located here: http://farerecipes.blogspot.com/2014/09/sweet-potato-lentil-stew.html Every one of the recipes on her blog are stolen. So tacky!!"
"I tweaked the spices by adding a pinch more here & there for a richer taste. I also added a can of diced tomatoes to the cooking process, cream of mushroom soup can also be added to add creaminess & to thicken the broth. I cooked all the ingredients except the sweet potatoes for 4 hrs & then added the sweet potatoes & cooked for another 4 hrs in a slow cooker. If adding the potatoes later doesn't work for you make sure to chop them in large chunks or halves so it doesn't dissolve into mush. Zucchini, eggplant & russet potatoes make for a nice lentil too. Thanks for recipe."
"We really enjoyed the mix of flavors in this stew!"