Sweet Potato Lentil Stew Recipe
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in cilantro and salt. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Lentil Stew(9)
Sort By :
I tweaked the spices by adding a pinch more here & there for a richer taste. I also added a can of diced tomatoes to the cooking process, cream of mushroom soup can also be added to add creaminess & to thicken the broth. I cooked all the ingredients except the sweet potatoes for 4 hrs & then added the sweet potatoes & cooked for another 4 hrs in a slow cooker. If adding the potatoes later doesn't work for you make sure to chop them in large chunks or halves so it doesn't dissolve into mush. Zucchini, eggplant & russet potatoes make for a nice lentil too. Thanks for recipe.
We really enjoyed the mix of flavors in this stew!
While this was fairly good, I agree with another reviewer in that the lentils were still rather firm even after 6 hrs. I would like to try this recipe again, but would increase the amount of spices/seasonings and add possibly spinach, kale, corn, and/or zuchinni to add extra flavor and color. I did happen to add some pre-cooked barley just before serving, which added a nice nutty flavor. With some tweaking, this could be a 5 star dish!
Sorry to disagree with the other reviews, but no one in my family liked this. It seemed like there were too many lentils, and the lentils were firm while the other vegetables were falling-apart tender. The lentils and sweet potatoes just didn't work for us.
Tasty, hearty, warm, and just the right amount of spice.
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Stew Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Stew Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Stew Recipes >