If you're looking for a healthier dish with a difference, try this recipe from Tamar Holmes of San Diego, California. White kidney beans, sweet potatoes, kale and plenty of garlic flavor this brothy blend. "It's the perfect winter soup and has soothed me through many a cold," Tamar notes. "It's a cinch to make, too."
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 cups chopped fresh kale
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute onion and Italian seasoning in oil until onion is tender.
- Stir in the broth, beans, sweet potatoes and kale. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, salt and pepper. Simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Sweet Potato Kale Soup in Taste of Home October/November 2004, p9
Reviews for Sweet Potato Kale Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 2, 2009
"Thanks for sharing that! I am always using Kale, I love it. "