Sweet Potato Hot Rolls Recipe
Busy hostesses will appreciate this recipe that starts with a packaged mix. The soft and tender rolls look pretty sprinkled with wheat germ. —Addy Kramer, Pine Island, Minnesota
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
- 1. In a large bowl, combine contents of the roll mix and yeast packet. Stir in wheat germ and sugar. Add the warm water, sweet potatoes, butter and egg; stir until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead for 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- 2. Divide dough into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Divide between two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Beat egg and water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with wheat germ.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 16 rolls.
1 roll equals 153 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 212 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC