Sweet Potato Ham Casserole Recipe
- 1 large sweet potato, about (10 ounces)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 boneless fully cooked ham steaks (1/2 pound and 3/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/3 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1. Peel sweet potato and cut into chunks. Place in a microwave-safe dish; add water. Cover and microwave on high for 7-9 minutes or until tender; drain and set aside.
- 2. Cut ham into two pieces. In a skillet, brown ham in butter on both sides. In a bowl, combine pineapple juice and brown sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over ham. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 3. Transfer ham to a greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish. Place sweet potato and pineapple around edge of dish. Pour brown sugar mixture over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle marshmallows around edge. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until the marshmallows are golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
4 ounces cooked ham with 1-1/4 cups potato mixture (prepared with reduced-fat butter) equals 439 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 1,520 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.