Sweet Potato Ham Casserole Recipe
"If you like sweet potatoes, this is a great way to serve them," says Barbara Smith of Cannon Falls, Minnesota. "It's so easy to make this meal-in-one dish. I like to think of the marshmallows on top as dessert!"
- 1 large sweet potato, about (10 ounces)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 boneless fully cooked ham steaks (1/2 pound and 3/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/3 cup miniature marshmallows
- Peel sweet potato and cut into chunks. Place in a microwave-safe dish; add water. Cover and microwave on high for 7-9 minutes or until tender; drain and set aside.
- Cut ham into two pieces. In a skillet, brown ham in butter on both sides. In a bowl, combine pineapple juice and brown sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over ham. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Transfer ham to a greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish. Place sweet potato and pineapple around edge of dish. Pour brown sugar mixture over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle marshmallows around edge. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until the marshmallows are golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Ham Casserole in Cooking for 2 Winter 2005, p47
Reviews for Sweet Potato Ham Casserole(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review