"If you like sweet potatoes, this is a great way to serve them," says Barbara Smith of Cannon Falls, Minnesota. "It's so easy to make this meal-in-one dish. I like to think of the marshmallows on top as dessert!"
- 1 large sweet potato, about (10 ounces)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 boneless fully cooked ham steaks (1/2 pound and 3/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/3 cup miniature marshmallows
- Peel sweet potato and cut into chunks. Place in a microwave-safe dish; add water. Cover and microwave on high for 7-9 minutes or until tender; drain and set aside.
- Cut ham into two pieces. In a skillet, brown ham in butter on both sides. In a bowl, combine pineapple juice and brown sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over ham. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Transfer ham to a greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish. Place sweet potato and pineapple around edge of dish. Pour brown sugar mixture over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle marshmallows around edge. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until the marshmallows are golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Ham Casserole in Cooking for 2 Winter 2005, p47
Reviews for Sweet Potato Ham Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2014
"very good recipe"
Reviewed Feb. 7, 2012
"I Added raisins."
Reviewed Feb. 19, 2011
"I made this recipe for our dinner last night and we loved it! I left out the marshmallows and it was very good. We will definitey have this again."