- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter; cook until tender. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the sweet potatoes and horseradish.
- Transfer half to a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Combine cheese and bread crumbs; sprinkle half over the sweet potato mixture. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Gratin
Sort By :
"This is absolutely fantastic. I made it for the first time yesterday for a small group pot luck, and 2 people asked me for the recipe."
"I was looking for savory sweet potato recipe and this was perfect! I made it with a salad and grilled steak, my family enjoyed it very much so. I added more garlic and used olive oil instead of butter... Very nice."
"I was so excited to make this for Easter. I followed the recipe and it was awful. The shredded potatoes did not cook. They never got soft. Each person had a pile of uncooked potatoes on their plate at dinner's end. Would not recommend making this recipe"
"I second the last reviewers comment."
"Would appreciate it soooo much if you would include the nutrition information with your recipes. Thank you"