Sweet Potato Gratin Recipe
—Taste of Home Cooking School
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter; cook until tender. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the sweet potatoes and horseradish.
- 2. Transfer half to a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Combine cheese and bread crumbs; sprinkle half over the sweet potato mixture. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC