- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter; cook until tender. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the sweet potatoes and horseradish.
- Transfer half to a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Combine cheese and bread crumbs; sprinkle half over the sweet potato mixture. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Gratin(5)
Sort By :
This is absolutely fantastic. I made it for the first time yesterday for a small group pot luck, and 2 people asked me for the recipe.
I was looking for savory sweet potato recipe and this was perfect! I made it with a salad and grilled steak, my family enjoyed it very much so. I added more garlic and used olive oil instead of butter... Very nice.
I was so excited to make this for Easter. I followed the recipe and it was awful. The shredded potatoes did not cook. They never got soft. Each person had a pile of uncooked potatoes on their plate at dinner's end. Would not recommend making this recipe
I second the last reviewers comment.
Would appreciate it soooo much if you would include the nutrition information with your recipes. Thank you
More Recipe Collections
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easter Side Dishes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- New Year's Side Dish Recipes >
- Potato Casseroles >
- Potato Side Dishes >