Sweet Potato Dessert Squares Recipe
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size), divided
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes (without added milk or butter)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whipped cream and pecan halves, optional
- 1. Set aside 3/4 cup of the cake mix. Combine the remaining mix with butter and egg until crumbly; spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Whisk filling ingredients until smooth; pour over crust.
- 2. For topping, cut butter into reserved cake mix until crumbly. Stir in the pecans, sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the filling.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Garnish with whipped cream and pecan halves if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 399 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 332 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Dessert Squares
"I decided to prepare this recipe as I was looking for a way to use potatoes in this week's recipe ingredient challenge! This week's challenge called for potatoes-either regular or sweet! I had a can of yams and since I was also in the house on account of Ol' Man Winter, I thought I would put my time to good use! I HAVE made recipe adjustments: I used the 29-oz. can of yams, drained, 2 Tbsp. ground orange, I also used EVAPORATED milk instead of regular milk, and also used 1/4 cup each packed light brown sugar and white sugar to = 1/2 cup, 1/2 tsp. salt and for the spices, I used 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. ground ginger, 1/4 tsp. each ground nutmeg and cloves for gentle seasoning. I used 1/2 cup melted butter for the crust and I used 6 Tbsp. margarine for the crumb topping. I used 1/2 cup chopped nuts (combined pecans/walnuts), rather than 1 cup! (I like to conserve on my nut supply, so I used less nuts) I also used 1/4 cup cinnamon-sugar in the topping mix. I greased and floured my baking pan for easier removal of the squares! I baked 60 to 65 minutes as recipe states! I'm certainly sure that this recipe will be delicious! Thank you, Betty Janway, for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home! This is also a great way to utilize sweet potatoes! I didn't garnish with any whipped cream or the pecan halves-I left dessert as is! This is a recipe which will be on my agenda to use again! I did notice that the quantity was more than 16 servings! I cut the dessert into squares and the amount made about 25 squares! I just might work on this recipe more-perhaps bake the crust about 10 minutes, then pour the filling over the crust and bake about 50 minutes. I'll keep trying-I did find the taste delicious! delowenstein"
"While searching for a sweet potato pie recipe I came across this and decided to try it instead - was I glad I did! So delicious and different. Will be great for holiday time. The topping with the pecans adds such a wonderful taste. Will for sure be making this one again! Thanks for sharing Betty!"
"best sweet potato recipe/ best dessert recipe EVER! so addicting....u have been warned!"
"I had some left over baked sweet potatoes, so I made this recipe, my only tweak was to use crushed gingersnap cookies instead of pecans..... very nice flavor. nice recipe and very easy."