Sweet Potato Dessert Squares Recipe
I prepare sweet potatoes every week for my family, mostly as a side dish. But I've found this vegetable also makes desserts even more delightful. These moist, rich square have a great pecan crunch.—Betty Janway, Ruston, Louisiana
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size), divided
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes (without added milk or butter)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whipped cream and pecan halves, optional
- 1. Set aside 3/4 cup of the cake mix. Combine the remaining mix with butter and egg until crumbly; spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Whisk filling ingredients until smooth; pour over crust.
- 2. For topping, cut butter into reserved cake mix until crumbly. Stir in the pecans, sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the filling.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Garnish with whipped cream and pecan halves if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 399 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 332 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC