- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Additional chopped pecans, optional
- In a bowl, combine flour and pecans. Stir in butter. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cover and boil for 15 minutes or just until tender; drain and mash. Add sugar, butter and extracts; stir until smooth. Spread over crust.
- For topping, beat cream cheese and sugar in a bowl until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over filling. sprinkle with pecans if desired. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Crunch in Taste of Home October/November 1998, p18