Sweet Potato Crescents Recipe
My family agrees that our Thanksgiving feast would not be complete without these light-as-air crescent rolls. They're a nice accompaniment to any menu. Baking them always puts me in the holiday spirit. —Rebecca Bailey, Fairbury, Nebraska
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) cut sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Beat in the sweet potatoes, sugar, shortening, egg, salt and 3 cups flour. Add enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 12-in. circle; cut each into 12 wedges. Brush with butter. Roll up from the wide end and place, pointed end down, 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 123 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 119 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC