Sweet Potato-Cranberry Doughnuts Recipe
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried cranberries
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons apple cider or juice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, yeast, cinnamon, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, shortening and water to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the eggs, mashed potatoes and cranberries; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter; reroll scraps. Place 1-in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Combine confectioners' sugar and apple cider; dip warm doughnuts in glaze. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 glazed doughnut: 191 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Sweet Potato-Cranberry Doughnuts
"Oh my heck!!! These are heavenly!!!!"
"These donuts were amazing! I wasn't sure how sweet potato would be in them but they we're great. The perfect blend of flavored. I used less apple juice for the icing because my family likes our doughnuts with a thick glaze."