Sweet Potato Coconut Pie with Marshmallow Meringue Recipe
My grandmother's sweet potato casserole contains coconut and marshmallows. I thought it would be even better as a pie. —Simone Bazos, Baltimore, Maryland
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour Bake: 65 minutes + chilling YIELD:8 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1. In a food processor, combine the flour, salt and ginger; cover and pulse to blend. Add butter and shortening; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 2. While processing, gradually add water just until moist crumbs form. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 3. Preheat oven to 425°. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges or decorate with pastry cutouts as desired. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights.
- 4. Bake 8 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 325°.
- 5. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the coconut milk, brown sugar and cream cheese. Cook and stir until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl; cool 5 minutes. Whisk in the sweet potatoes, eggs, lemon juice, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Pour into crust.
- 6. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
- 7. For meringue, in a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 8. Place marshmallow creme in a separate large bowl; fold in a third of the egg white mixture, then fold in the remaining mixture. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with marshmallows and coconut.
- 9. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until top is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 603 calories, 23 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 348 mg sodium, 91 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC