Sweet Potato Cobbler
My grandmother used to make the best sweet potato cobbler, but, like many cooks, she didn't follow a recipe. I tried many cobbler recipes before I discovered this one. It's a favorite for church dinners and is a special treat at home.
10-12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a saucepan, cook sweet potatoes in water until crisp-tender, about
- 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1-1/2 cups cooking liquid. Layer
- potatoes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; add reserved
- liquid. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; sprinkle
- over potatoes. Dot with butter.
- For pastry, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture