Sweet Potato Chili Bake Recipe
“I’m a vegetarian and wanted to develop some dishes that are a little heartier than traditional vegetarian fare. I created this recipe, and even my 1-year-old loves it!” —Jillian Tournoux, Massillon, Ohio
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (6-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, saute sweet potato and red pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes, broth, beans, brown sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions; stir in cheese. Drop by tablespoonfuls over chili.
- 3. Cover and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup (calculated without optional toppings) equals 324 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 1,204 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Chili Bake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC