Sweet Potato Chili Bake Recipe
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (6-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, saute sweet potato and red pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes, broth, beans, brown sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions; stir in cheese. Drop by tablespoonfuls over chili.
- 3. Cover and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup (calculated without optional toppings) equals 324 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 1,204 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Chili Bake
"Was really good. Will be sure to have the sour cream on hand next time also, made it extra tasty .Husband loved it."
"<p>I liked this very much! It's has a nice flavor and feels like comfort food. The rest of the family wasn't as enthusiastic, but that may be because we are used to hot and spicy dishes and this is pretty mild. Maybe next time I'll turn up the heat with cayenne and chipotle. I'll definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing this!</p>"
"I make this recipe all the time now, but with honey butter corn bread, extra beans, and an onion. My husband is in love and we love extra cornbread on top :)"
"So glad to have found this recipe! I put thin slices of Polenta on the top instead of cornbread mix hoping it'd be a bit more healthy than the ingredients in those box mixes. This also helps by not absorbing much liquid. Delicious recipe!"
"Full of flavor. Really enjoyed the chili bake. The sweet potatoes were my favorite part."
"I loved this dish. I used the Jiffy cornbread box for the cornbread, which is larger, but still thought the ratio was nice. I did add an extra cup of broth the next time I made it and that was good, too."
"Made this last night. Good flavor, but too much cornbread. If I made this again I would double the Chili ingredients and use less cornbread. Most of the liquid evaporated. With some tweaking this could be a keeper:-)"