- 3 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with onions, undrained
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place the sweet potatoes and water in a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 6 minutes or until tender; drain.
- In a Dutch oven, saute chicken in oil for 8-9 minutes or until juices run clear. Add the cabbage, broth, peas, tomatoes, celery, tomato juice, pepper, salt and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Chicken Stew
"I made this recipe for dinner tonight and it turned out great. I did not have tomato juice and instead of black eyed peas, I used a can of white cannelini beans instead. I thought it was quite yummy. I put some crescent rolls in the oven and they paired great with the hearty stew. Next time I might make it with white potatoes instead of sweet potatoes to see how it turns out."