- 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 pounds (about 4 cups) sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled and mashed
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, butter, eggs, milk, vanilla extract and sugar. Spread into a greased 1-1/2-qt. casserole.
- For topping, combine all the ingredients and sprinkle over potatoes. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Casserole
"I never make turkey or ham without making this recipe. All of my family requests it. My husband eats it with the entree and he also eats a portion for dessert! Delicious with Walnuts, or pecans and with or without coconut. I sometimes do half pan coconut, half pan without coconut."
"This was great! Only difference I did was add just a sprinkle of sea salt to the mashed sweet potatoes. Then to the topping added just a small touch of maple syrup. Then topped the topping with corn flake crumbs."
"This is an easy, delicious recipe that I've been using for years - with the exception of coconut. It still tastes great without it."
"Hi.What can I use in place of coconut?"
"This has been a family holiday favorite for over 20 years. I leave out the coconut because not everyone in my family likes it. Otherwise it is delicious."
"This recipe has been a favorite with my family for over 20 years! (As a matter of fact, I still use the original recipe card which I clipped from Country in 1991!) I do cut back a bit on the amount of sugar in the sweet potato mixture, since the delicious topping adds plenty of sweetness."
"Terrific Thanksgiving recipe! What a crowd pleaser!!!"
"awesome recipe been making this 3 or 4 yrs now people that generally don,t eat sweet potatoes actually enjoy this for some reason"
"Phenominal I make a sweet potato casserole every year. Not sure if this is the same recipe, but it has the same ingredients. I also use less sugar, both in and on top of this."