Sweet Potato Cake Recipe
Sweet potatoes are not only tasty and versatile, they're good for you as well. Family and friends never mind eating a nutritious vegetable when it's part of this easy-to-prepare dessert, I like to serve this as a snack cake or breakfast coffee cake.—Kathy Theriot, St. Martinville, Louisiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes (without added milk or butter)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, potatoes, shortening, water and egg. Combine dry ingredients; add to potato mixture and mix well. Stir in raisins and pecans. Pour into a greased 8-cup fluted tube pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 337 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 384 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC