Sweet Potato Bread Recipe
We raise and sell sweet potatoes on our farm in the lower part of Texas panhandle. Years ago, a customer shared his wife's sweet potato bread recipe with me. It's been a family favorite ever since.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine sugar, eggs, sweet potatoes and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, allspice cinnamon, salt and baking soda; stir into potato mixture. Fold in nuts if desired. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until bread tests done. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 145 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 78 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC