Sweet Potato Bread Recipe
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine sugar, eggs, sweet potatoes and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, allspice cinnamon, salt and baking soda; stir into potato mixture. Fold in nuts if desired. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until bread tests done. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 145 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 78 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Bread
"Everyone said it needed more flavor."
"This bread was tasty, but I had some issues with it. I followed the recipe to the letter. When it came out of the oven, it smelled heavenly! I let it bake for the required hour, but when we cut into it, the very top was raw and doughy, and the outside was extremely dry. This batter definitely needs more liquid. I would recommend adding either a cup of oil, or 1/2 and 1/2 oil and applesauce. And that's exactly what I'm going to do when I try it again tomorrow! Stay tuned!!!Update 02/03/15: As promised, I made this bread again, but added 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup of applesauce. It was a WHOLE different bread!! It baked perfectly, and every single bite was moist and perfect. I'm about to make another batch today...even my picky daughter loved it the second time!"
"I found this recipe and gave it to my sister who was looking for a different recipe for our fall festival. I must say that it is the best bread ever. I highly recommend it."
"This is a wonderful bread. The top of this bread turns out as if you sprinkled sugar on top. awesome!!"