I love to serve this bright orange bisque for special occasions in fall and winter. The recipe includes a minted chili oil to drizzle on top. It's well worth the few extra minutes it takes to make! —Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Recommended: Vegetarian Thanksgiving
- 8 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, finely chopped
- 6 medium carrots, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1-3/4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cubed
- 3 bay leaves
- 2-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- MINTED CHILI OIL:
- 18 mint sprigs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in pan.
- Add carrots and onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in water, sweet potatoes, bay leaves, curry, salt, cinnamon, paprika and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves. Stir in cream and sour cream just until blended. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mint, oil, sugar, salt, pepper flakes and pepper. Let stand 5-10 minutes.
- Process bisque in batches in a blender until smooth; return all to the pan. Heat through (do not boil). Ladle bisque into bowls; drizzle with minted chili oil. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Sweet Potato Bisque in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p22
Reviews for Sweet Potato Bisque
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review