Sweet Potato Biscuits Recipe
Whoever said biscuits were boring never tasted these. We love their rich flavor. These tender treats are great with a meal or as a snack with honey butter.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 7 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger. Cut in 4 tablespoons butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, combine sweet potatoes and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Biscuits in Taste of Home April/May 2005, p33
Reviews for Sweet Potato Biscuits(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 5, 2011
These are easy to make and so delicious! I only got 13 biscuits out of it, not 18, but that's ok. These will become a new staple in our home because everyone loves them!