Sweet Potato Biscuits
"The recipe for these mild-tasting biscuits was my grandmother's," says Nancy Daugherty from Cortland, Ohio. "They're a family favorite that we always serve at Thanksgiving.
18 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in
- shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl,
- mash the sweet potatoes and milk. Add to the crumb mixture just
- until combined.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Roll to 1/2-in.
- thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased
- baking sheets.
- Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to
- wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 124 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 214 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.