Sweet Potato Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1. Place sweet potato in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 13-18 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. Cool slightly. Place sweet potato and reserved liquid in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the green pepper, onion and garlic until almost tender. Stir in cilantro and cumin; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Add the beans, corn, water, tomato sauce, salt, pepper and reserved sweet potato puree; heat through. Garnish with green onions and tomato. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 224 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 901 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Bean Soup
"I made this soup tonight for a light dinner for my husband and I. I only made a couple of changes- replacing the water with chicken broth and topping with reduced fat sour cream. We really enjoyed the soup like this. I think when I make it next time, I will add a chopped jalapeno as well as we like spice. I especially enjoyed the fact that this soup went together very quickly, allowing me to serve a healthy meal after a long, busy weekend."