Sweet Potato Bean Soup Recipe
“I felt like making some black bean soup, but I had a sweet potato that needed to be used, so I combined the two and created this delicious soup!” explains Michelle Sweeny of Bloomington, Indiana. This fast soup combines the creaminess of sweet potato with the crunch of corn and bell pepper.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1. Place sweet potato in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 13-18 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. Cool slightly. Place sweet potato and reserved liquid in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the green pepper, onion and garlic until almost tender. Stir in cilantro and cumin; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Add the beans, corn, water, tomato sauce, salt, pepper and reserved sweet potato puree; heat through. Garnish with green onions and tomato. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 224 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 901 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC