Sweet Potato and Pear Soup Recipe
- 1-3/4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup white grape juice
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sweet potatoes, water, 3/4 teaspoon salt and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, cook and stir the pears and onion in butter over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in grape juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir into the sweet potato mixture. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, cover and puree soup in batches; return all to one of the pans. Stir in the cream, pepper and remaining salt; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup: 280 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 554mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Sweet Potato and Pear Soup
"I know the poster said this was a tasty cold-weather soup, but I also found it excellent chilled. Perfect for a hot summer night."
"Mmmmm - I said. My hubby needed a more substantial soup; he said the flavor was okay."