- 1-3/4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup white grape juice
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the sweet potatoes, water, 3/4 teaspoon salt and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, cook and stir the pears and onion in butter over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in grape juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir into the sweet potato mixture. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, cover and puree soup in batches; return all to one of the pans. Stir in the cream, pepper and remaining salt; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato and Pear Soup in Country February/March 2007, p51
Reviews for Sweet Potato and Pear Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 20, 2013
"I know the poster said this was a tasty cold-weather soup, but I also found it excellent chilled. Perfect for a hot summer night."
Reviewed Dec. 26, 2011
"Mmmmm - I said. My hubby needed a more substantial soup; he said the flavor was okay."