Sweet Potato and Ham Hash Recipe
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute sweet potatoes in butter and oil until crisp-tender. Add the onion, red pepper, green onions and chili pepper. Saute 4-5 minutes longer or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the ham, pepper and salt.
- 2. With the back of a spoon, make four wells in the potato mixture; add an egg to each well. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until egg whites are completely set. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving: 379 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 271mg cholesterol, 1237mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Reviews for Sweet Potato and Ham Hash
"WOW. This was so good. It was so good, in fact, my husband went back 3 times for more!!! I bought already-cubed sweet potatoes so that cut down on some of the prep time. I did omit the red chili pepper, since I'm not a huge fan of spicy food. Next time I might add in some red pepper flakes to give it a little bite, but not make it too spicy. Instead of ham, I opted for ground pork. Once I started adding it in, I quickly realized I only needed about 1C of the ground pork (otherwise it would have been too much). I did notice that by the time I was supposed to add the eggs, the oil/butter on the bottom of the cast iron was thinning out. I put the eggs in (only 2 since my pan was starting to overflow), and waited about 6 minutes (I like my eggs a bit firmer). After all was said and done, the bottom layer of food was a bit burnt. Fortunately, it almost gave it a caramelized flavor, and didn't make the dish taste bad. Maybe next time I'll add in a bit more oil before I start cooking the eggs, so that the other items don't burn. Overall, an awesome dish, and I can't wait to make it again!"
"I had a lot of sweet potatoes, and wanted something new and this was it, I used a yellow pepper, diced jalpeno, 1/2 cup Tillamook Italian cheese, scramble eggs with 1% milk as I like farmers hash the best didn't put any salt or pepper, and my wife and I liked this very much. I made these changes because out what I had on my shelves"