- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute sweet potatoes in butter and oil until crisp-tender. Add the onion, red pepper, green onions and chili pepper. Saute 4-5 minutes longer or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the ham, pepper and salt.
- With the back of a spoon, make four wells in the potato mixture; add an egg to each well. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until egg whites are completely set. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Sweet Potato and Ham Hash
"WOW. This was so good. It was so good, in fact, my husband went back 3 times for more!!! I bought already-cubed sweet potatoes so that cut down on some of the prep time. I did omit the red chili pepper, since I'm not a huge fan of spicy food. Next time I might add in some red pepper flakes to give it a little bite, but not make it too spicy. Instead of ham, I opted for ground pork. Once I started adding it in, I quickly realized I only needed about 1C of the ground pork (otherwise it would have been too much). I did notice that by the time I was supposed to add the eggs, the oil/butter on the bottom of the cast iron was thinning out. I put the eggs in (only 2 since my pan was starting to overflow), and waited about 6 minutes (I like my eggs a bit firmer). After all was said and done, the bottom layer of food was a bit burnt. Fortunately, it almost gave it a caramelized flavor, and didn't make the dish taste bad. Maybe next time I'll add in a bit more oil before I start cooking the eggs, so that the other items don't burn. Overall, an awesome dish, and I can't wait to make it again!"
"I had a lot of sweet potatoes, and wanted something new and this was it, I used a yellow pepper, diced jalpeno, 1/2 cup Tillamook Italian cheese, scramble eggs with 1% milk as I like farmers hash the best didn't put any salt or pepper, and my wife and I liked this very much. I made these changes because out what I had on my shelves"