- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl; mash potatoes. Stir in sugar, pineapple, eggs, sour cream, orange peel, juice, butter and vanilla; transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. For topping, in a large bowl, mix coconut, pecans, brown sugar and flour. Add butter; mix until crumbly. Sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown. Yield: 12 servings (1/2 cup each).
Reviews for Sweet Potato, Orange & Pineapple Crunch
"The combinations in this casserole are wonderful. I thought the amount of topping was a little too much so I decreased the topping recipe the next time a made it."
"I made this with four 15oz cans of sweet potatoes (that's what I had). I drained the light syrup off them and mashed per the recipe. I thought they were sweet enough (having been canned with syrup), so I left out the white sugar. The finished result was wonderful, but not everyone in my family was a fan of the pineapple in it. The topping was very crunchy and thick. The dish was good cold for breakfast the next morning too."
"This is in response to delowenstein who reviewed this recipe on Oct 1, 2015,,,,,, in my opinion that is NOT a review of this recipe as you changed almost every ingredient, esp the primary ones. I think this is very unfair to Lisa. We just received our issue of the magazine this afternoon. I gave it to my husband to look at & this is the first recipe he chose for us to have. The only thing I am going to do is cut it in half since will be serving to just the two of us this time. From my reading of the recipe & looking at the photo I am thinking that Lisa should have received the Grand Prize instead of Third Place. After we try this I will submit more info,,,,,,"
"I have decided to revise this review. I'd rated this recipe as a 5* recipe and I'd also made a number of changes with the recipe ingredients. I just want to say that the way in that the recipe was originally prepared and presented is excellent. It's a great recipe selection for special holiday meals. Thank you for sharing, Lisa Varner."