This comforting ham chowder has become a staple at my house throughout the year. This calls for sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes for a nutritional twist.—Sherry Akers, Foretst, Virginia
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet red pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/4 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add broth, corn, sweet potatoes, red pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in ham and onions. Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, combine cornstarch and yogurt until smooth. Gradually add to soup. Return to heat. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Ham and Corn Chowder in Country Woman March/April 2000, p36
Reviews for Sweet Potato, Ham and Corn Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review