- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 12 ounces each), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 14 ounces fresh chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 2 cups (8 ounces) queso fresco or shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Pretzel sticks and fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 400° Place sweet potatoes on a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with oil; toss to coat. Roast potatoes 30-40 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook chorizo over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash potatoes; add to chorizo. Stir in cheese, egg, paprika, salt and pepper. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls. Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Roll balls in crumbs to coat. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry balls in batches 4-6 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
- Decorate with pretzel sticks and cilantro. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Sweet Potato & Chorizo Croquettes in Ultimate Halloween 2016
Reviews for Sweet Potato & Chorizo Croquettes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review