- 6 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 20 cups)
- 1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place sweet potatoes in a large stockpot; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain; return to pot. Mash potatoes with chipotle pepper to reach desired consistency. Cool slightly. Stir in cream, eggs and salt. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish (dish will be full).
- For topping, in a large bowl, mix brown sugar, flour and spices; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 18 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Sweet Potato & Chipotle Casserole
"Served this for Thanksgiving dinner today and it was a big hit, a nice change from the typical holiday sweet potato dishes. The chipotles and cayenne add flavor but no real heat, so don't be afraid of this recipe if you aren't a fan of spice, but for my tastes I think I will add a couple more chipotles next time. Also, there was waaaay too much topping, even for a 9x12 pan; I ended up using only about half of it, so next time I would cut back on the topping ingredients. This one goes into my permanent Thanksgiving recipe collection."