Sweet Potato & Caramelized Onion Shells Recipe
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 21 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sherry or apple cider
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup turkey gravy, warmed
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until softened. Add garlic powder and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain pasta; set aside.
- Stir the broth, sherry, thyme and pepper into onions. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated. Remove from the heat. Stir in sweet potatoes and Gorgonzola cheese.
- Spoon into shells; place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with gravy. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Sweet Potato & Caramelized Onion Shells(7)
Sort By :
Hey kimmyjo62! Ever heard of perogies??
My neighbor made these without the gravy and they were delicious. If you don't like gorgonzola though, you won't like them because that is the predominant flavor. I thought this was a very unusual, yet very tasty combo. I'll be making this myself very soon.
I'll say up front, that I haven't made this. Who in their right mind would put these two starches together? Pasta & potatoes? I like all the ingredients, but sounds like this would be a litte all together. I could be wrong, but this does sound weird. I'll save my money and time and prepare something else.
My family enjoyed this enough we had it as a side dish in our Thanksgiving meal.
I thought it was delicious. Everyone at Thanksgiving dinner raved about them. But they were very time consuming to make.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Pasta >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Sweet Potato Recipes >