- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- In a nonstick Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute sweet potatoes and onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add the chili powder, garlic, cumin and cayenne; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, coffee, honey, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili
Sort By :
"Very flavorful and good enough to make again! No cayenne in the cupboard so I made the chili without and it was still delicious, but probably not as spicy as it could have been. I used just 1 tablespoon honey which provided enough sweetness for our tastes and added about 1/4 cup water while the sweet potatoes first cooked."
"This recipe was delicious as written, but just to suit my family, I added 1 cup of chicken stock to make it soupier and half a can of corn to up the veggies. The sweetness of the corn allowed me to cut the honey in half to 1 Tablespoon. I really liked the addition of coffee! Great change from regular chili! Spicy and flavorful."
"I prepared this exactly as the recipe suggested. It was tasty and delicious! Will definitely make again."
"Fantastic! Everyone loved it. No one mentioned that it was vegetarian. And all of the spices made it so tasty!"
"My husband looked at this with suspicious eyes and said "What is this?" when I served this soup a couple of nights ago. He was totally won over with the taste of this chili. Just the right amount and combination of spices and so healthy: low-fat, high fiber, good protein. I followed directions as written and don't think I will make any changes when I make this soup again. Served with a hearty bread, this is a perfect winter meal. Easy, healthy, delicious = perfect recipe!"