- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- In a nonstick Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute sweet potatoes and onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add the chili powder, garlic, cumin and cayenne; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, coffee, honey, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili
"So tasty, so filling, so easy!Topped with avacado and ate with tortilla chips. Husband loved it too!"
"Absolutely wonderful! I added celery but kept everything else the same. It is really easy to make too. My family really liked it and requested hamburger in it next time, so I will be making it again. Thanks for another yummy recipe."
"Very flavorful and good enough to make again! No cayenne in the cupboard so I made the chili without and it was still delicious, but probably not as spicy as it could have been. I used just 1 tablespoon honey which provided enough sweetness for our tastes and added about 1/4 cup water while the sweet potatoes first cooked."
"This recipe was delicious as written, but just to suit my family, I added 1 cup of chicken stock to make it soupier and half a can of corn to up the veggies. The sweetness of the corn allowed me to cut the honey in half to 1 Tablespoon. I really liked the addition of coffee! Great change from regular chili! Spicy and flavorful."
"I prepared this exactly as the recipe suggested. It was tasty and delicious! Will definitely make again."