Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili Recipe
“My whole family enjoys this chili, but my daughter especially loves it. I like to make it because it’s so easy and very flavorful.” —Joy Pendley, Ortonville, Michigan
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1. In a nonstick Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute sweet potatoes and onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add the chili powder, garlic, cumin and cayenne; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, coffee, honey, salt and pepper.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup chili with 1 tablespoon cheese equals 252 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 554 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC