- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- In a nonstick Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute sweet potatoes and onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add the chili powder, garlic, cumin and cayenne; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, coffee, honey, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili
Sort By :
"Fantastic! Everyone loved it. No one mentioned that it was vegetarian. And all of the spices made it so tasty!"
"My husband looked at this with suspicious eyes and said "What is this?" when I served this soup a couple of nights ago. He was totally won over with the taste of this chili. Just the right amount and combination of spices and so healthy: low-fat, high fiber, good protein. I followed directions as written and don't think I will make any changes when I make this soup again. Served with a hearty bread, this is a perfect winter meal. Easy, healthy, delicious = perfect recipe!"
"Very good. I substituted broth for the coffee and added a little cinnamon."
"Awesome recipe, I had already brown lean ground beef, onion and green pepper before I found this recipe. I added one extra small can of diced tomatoes, approximately 2 more tablespoons chili powder, one tbls cumin and honey. This is a great recipe whether you modify it or not!"
"This is so good! A great healthy chili for a cold night. Every time I make this for others I get requests for the recipe."