Sweet Pineapple Sauce
In Meshoppen, Pennsylvania, Mary Herron simmers up a yummy pineapple sauce that's sensational whether served warm or cold. It's delicious drizzled over ice cream for a simple dessert. Or try it with ham for a dressed-up dinner.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Pinch salt
- Vanilla ice cream
- Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a saucepan,
- combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in pineapple juice until smooth.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the butter, vinegar, salt and
- pineapple. Serve over ice cream; sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 517 calories, 27 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 111 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein.