- 10 pounds fresh asparagus
- 5 tablespoons dill seed
- 5 teaspoons mixed pickling spices
- 2 quarts water
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- Wash, drain and trim asparagus; cut into 5-3/4-in. spears (discard ends or save for another use). Pack asparagus into five 1-quart jars to within 1/2 in. of top. Place 1 tablespoon dill seed and 1 teaspoon pickling spices in each jar.
- In a Dutch oven, bring water, vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil. Carefully ladle hot liquid over asparagus mixture, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 5 quarts.
Reviews for Sweet Pickled Asparagus
Sort By :
"The only reason that I am giving this recipe 4 stars instead of 5 is that it didn't have a distinctive sweet flavor to it. It tasted very similar to my other "regular" asparagus that I pickled. Still a good recipe and I will be making it this way again!"