Sweet Pepper Pitas
Here’s a quick, colorful, grab-and-go pita lunch that gets rave reviews from all ages, says Brigid King in Macomb, Michigan. “I tweaked this meatless, versatile recipe years ago to lighten it and punch up the taste,“ she notes.
TIP: For Italian flavor, add pizza sauce and chopped pepperonis to the cheese and peppers, suggests Brigid King. A little salmon or some bacon bits mixed in the cream ch
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 ounces PHILADELPHIA® Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 pita breads (6 inches), split
- 1/2 each medium green, sweet red and yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in salsa.
- Spread inside pita halves; set aside. In a nonstick skillet, saute
- peppers and onion in oil until tender. Add hot pepper sauce, pepper
- and salt. Spoon about 1/4 cup into each pita half. Yield: 2
Nutritional Facts: 2 filled pita halves (prepared with fat-free cream cheese) equals 304 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 784 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 15 g protein.