Here’s a quick, colorful, grab-and-go pita lunch that gets rave reviews from all ages, says Brigid King in Macomb, Michigan. “I tweaked this meatless, versatile recipe years ago to lighten it and punch up the taste,“ she notes. TIP: For Italian flavor, add pizza sauce and chopped pepperonis to the cheese and peppers, suggests Brigid King. A little salmon or some bacon bits mixed in the cream cheese make other tasty options.
Recommended: 33 Family Dinners for Under $10
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 pita breads (6 inches), split
- 1/2 each medium green, sweet red and yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in salsa. Spread inside pita halves; set aside. In a nonstick skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Add hot pepper sauce, pepper and salt. Spoon about 1/4 cup into each pita half. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Pepper Pitas in Cooking for 2 Spring 2006, p23
Reviews for Sweet Pepper Pitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 12, 2012
"Simple way to use up my pepper harvest. I only made 1/2 of the cream cheese mixture and that was plenty for me."