Sweet Pepper Chowder Recipe
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 medium potaoes, peeled and shredded
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the broth, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the peppers; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, Italian seasoning, pepper and water until blended. Stir into the vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in milk; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 20 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 92 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.