Sweet Pepper Chowder Recipe
Ladle out this hearty soup at your next church potluck and you're sure to win praise! Packed with potatoes, carrots and sweet peppers, this soup is nicely seasoned but not too spicy. Beverly Leveque of Fireside, British Columbia shared the recipe. "My friend's mother made this soup for years. When I decided to open a cafe on the Alaska Highway, I put this chowder on the menu as my house special," she says.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 medium potaoes, peeled and shredded
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the broth, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the peppers; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, Italian seasoning, pepper and water until blended. Stir into the vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in milk; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Pepper Chowder in Light & Tasty August/September 2001, p51
Reviews for Sweet Pepper Chowder(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review