Sweet Onion Spoon Bread Recipe
- 1-1/3 cups chopped sweet onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onions in butter until tender; set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the corn, muffin mix, egg whites and milk. Pour into a 9-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine sour cream and onions; spread over batter. Sprinkle with cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 191 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 361mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Sweet Onion Spoon Bread
"A very good recipe...slightly different from your average corn bread pudding recipe. We ate this with chili. Make sure your onions have cooled off before adding to the sour cream...mine were hot and the sour cream sort of curdled. Next time I may stir everything together rather than layering as I wasn't crazy about biting into an entire layer of onions at once."
"This was good and had good flavor. I used lowfat cheddar. I probably wouldn't make on a regular basis."
"My husband made this. He used lowfat sour cream - it was wonderful. A keeper for sure!"