“This unique recipe has been a family-favorite secret for years. The layers of tangy cheese, sour cream and sweet onions in this moist corn bread taste so great together!” Chopped green chilies could add some fun zip. —Heather Thomas, Fredericksburg, Virginia
- 1-1/3 cups chopped sweet onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onions in butter until tender; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the corn, muffin mix, egg whites and milk. Pour into a 9-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine sour cream and onions; spread over batter. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Onion Spoon Bread in Healthy Cooking April/May 2011, p53
Reviews for Sweet Onion Spoon Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review