You'd be hard-pressed to find me serving a different rice dish at Easter. Guests have come to expect this rich and creamy, comforting casserole every year...and I'm happy to oblige!—Carol Weber, Cedar Bluffs, Nebraska
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 3 pounds sweet onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°. In a large skillet, cook onions in butter over medium heat 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- In a large bowl, combine cheese, cream, parsley, salt, pepper, rice and onions. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with paprika. Bake 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 18 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Onion Rice Bake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p150
Reviews for Sweet Onion Rice Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review