Sweet Onion Pie Recipe
- 2 sweet onions, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 frozen deep-dish pie shell
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook onions in butter over medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until very tender. Meanwhile, line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- 2. Bake at 450° for 6 minutes. Remove foil; cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 425°.
- 3. Spoon onions into pastry shell. In a small bowl, whisk the egg substitute, milk, salt and pepper; pour over onions. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 169 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 487mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for Sweet Onion Pie
"My mother-in-law loves this recipe. It is quick, easy and so tasty."