- 2 sweet onions, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 frozen deep-dish pie shell
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook onions in butter over medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until very tender. Meanwhile, line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 450° for 6 minutes. Remove foil; cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 425°.
- Spoon onions into pastry shell. In a small bowl, whisk the egg substitute, milk, salt and pepper; pour over onions. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Onion Pie in Light & Tasty April/May 2007, p47
Reviews for Sweet Onion Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 4, 2011
"My mother-in-law loves this recipe. It is quick, easy and so tasty."