Sweet Onion Corn Bake Recipe
This tasty corn casserole gets plenty of flavor from sweet onions, cream-style corn and cheddar cheese plus a little zip from hot pepper sauce. It's a popular addition to our church potlucks. -Jeannette Travis, Forth Worth, Texas
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, milk, dill and salt until blended; stir in 1 cup of cheese. Stir into the onion mixture; remove from the heat and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the egg, corn, corn bread mix and hot pepper sauce. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon onion mixture over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer reaches 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 241 calories, 15 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 421 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC