- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, milk, dill and salt until blended; stir in 1 cup of cheese. Stir into the onion mixture; remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, corn, corn bread mix and hot pepper sauce. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon onion mixture over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer reaches 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forSweet Onion Corn Bake
"Didn't care for this recipe - probably just my taste. I love onions and sour cream. Love corn bread. But just didn't like the combination."
"I have made this many times - it is delicious. I've also mixed it up a few hours ahead and put in the oven on time bake, it comes out fine."
"This is an excellant side dish, and so easy to prepare. I have made this several times for large gatherings."
"This is a great recipe. I use french onion dip instead of sour cream. Very tasty!!"
"Jiffy brand makes a corn muffin mix in the perfect size for this recipe."
"I make this dish for cookouts and family gatherings and have never come home with leftovers, much to my husbands dismay. I get requests for it several times a year. I have even added a few more hot pepper sauce for a little extra zip and it is always yummy!"
"I made this to take to a family gathering but I was not happy with the way it turned out and I did not take it. The bottom was way too soggy. I think the problem was due to the corn muffin mix I used. The brand I used did not have 8 1/2 oz. But my two sons ate the whole thing and enjoyed it, so thanks for the recipe. I will make it again since I bought more corn muffin mix in the correct size."